Retiring Old Account Page - posted on Mon Mar 1 at 14:48:02 by Timothy Collett
As part of overhauling BattleMaster's authentication system to use a more modern, secure method, we have updated the Account page to also operate through the modern Symfony framework. At present, this will only mean minor visible changes from your perspective as players—with one notable exception.
The old Account page (/userdata.php), which the current Account page replaced four years ago, will not be updated in the same way, and will be retired completely
when this update goes live in a week's time.
Because we still have some people using it, we want to try to understand what it is about the old page that you prefer, so that as we work on improving the modern Account page, we can keep that in mind. If you have thoughts on this, please come and share them in the #development channel on the BattleMaster Discord server
, or, if you're not comfortable joining us on Discord, in the Development board on the forum
or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We have no desire to leave people behind, but we can't easily justify maintaining two separate Account pages anymore with our very limited developer resources.
Happy New Year and Happy Birthday BattleMaster! - posted on Fri Jan 1 at 00:24:53 by Tom Vogt
Today marks 20 years since BattleMaster was launched.
When I launched the game I had no idea it would be such a long journey and reach so many people. Some of you may know that BM was originally a simple strategy add-on to another game, SpellMaster, which it has long since outlived. BM was always a side-project, but it taught me much and had an impact on my professional life several times as I could transfer skills I had learnt there. And it is not just the coding, it has always been at least as much if not more about the community, about moderating conflicts both in-game and on the meta level, in finding compromises between the desires of different player groups and play styles, about understanding how the game is experienced for different types of players and of developing a consistent vision without getting side-tracked by pet peeves and seemingly cool ideas.
As you can guess from the tone of this posting, it's time for me to say goodbye. I am deeply grateful to the volunteers who helped out with the game over the years, and especially Danaris and Vita who carried it for the past years.
I am off to new shores. My newest work-in-progress is called Dragon Eye and can be found here: https://notveryprofessional.com/dragoneye/
Issue with Logins - Resolved - posted on Sun Mar 14 at 21:56:05 by Timothy Collett
UPDATE: I believe I have now resolved the issue.
The latest update appears to have introduced an issue with logins that didn't show up during testing. I'm working on it; please be patient.
Recent Updates, Lich King Event - posted on Mon Mar 15 at 18:55:25 by Timothy Collett
As some have already noticed, there have been several updates recently, which are largely focused on improving things behind the scenes for developers and fixing the bugs that cropped up since the server transition. However, there are a couple of items of note for players:
- The News Ticker is no longer integrated with the forum's Announcements board, as the forum integration proved incompatible with some of the updates to the game's structure. For now the only visible differences from this are a slight change in presentation and the disappearance of older announcements (I've copied a couple of recent ones over), but we have hopes of using the fact that the News Ticker is now fully part of the game to make new announcements more prominent in various ways in the future.
- As mentioned previously, the old Account page is now gone for good. I am still strongly encouraging feedback from anyone who preferred it, as it may, in the future, be possible to offer a slightly more customizable experience on the new Account page—possibly including alternatives in presentation for the characters.
Finally, there is now a special RP event
ongoing on the Colonies: the Lich King has returned, and all now quake in terror before him! ...Or, well, at least quake in something. If you're not playing on the Colonies, you're missing out!
BattleMaster Going Early Modern - posted on Thu Apr 1 at 05:48:21 by Ethan Lee Vita
We have recently decided to expand BattleMaster's timeline a bit more to include early modernism, allowing us to incorporate more interesting features for players. As part of this plan, the first implementation has been complete - the incorporation of stock markets into BattleMaster, which all nobles may access from the Actions page. Considering the recent popularization of stockmarkets, we hope it will make BattleMaster more appealing to play to a wider audience.
New features on the agenda include:
- Unit type with gunpowder, the Musketeer
- Paraphernalia type with gunpowder, the Light Cannon
- Resource in addition to food, gunpowder
- A supply is required to maintain production of gunpowder units and paraphernalia
- If a realm's supply runs out, production stops and existing units cannot be recruited or bought
- Subclass, the Privateer
- Able to raid ships sailing on seazones
- If a Privateer has a Musketeer unit, they will have a special unit type displayed (just like Martyr for Priest/Heroes), Marines
- Only Privateers can sail with Light Cannon, and use them when raiding ships